Quote of the moment

"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must first put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross daily, and follow me."

Luke 9:23 (NLT)

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

God Speaks

God works FAST. Only yesterday I had responded and today He confirmed what I felt. And it happened in the last place i expected: SAF cookhouse in a rundown camp with wooden buildings.

It started off with this non-uniformed SAF old chap, around 50 yrs of age i'm guessing, sitting down next to me during lunch. We started talking, lamenting about the robotic lives that Singaporeans generally lead, how we cannot afford to take a 3 month break like others are doing in the western world. Then, he started talking about his daughter, how she changed her mind almost half a year into her studies in England, wasted $30k, came back, rejected by the local universities because she had rejected their offer earlier, flew off to Australia, completed a degree in finance, came back, worked for DBS, quit after a couple of months cos "no future", joined some german bank, same thing happened, then joined OCBC, started working as a trader / investment agent of sorts, asked dad for help cos no customers, no network, Dad offered to pray for her, next thing they knew, two of her collegues decided to quit to look after their children, all of a sudden she has TOO many customers, asked her dad how to choose, Dad says lets pray, did that, somehow she landed the big fish, who introduced more big fishes to her, and her first paycheck hit $40k in commission.

*DEEP BREATH*

Got it so far? There's a part 2 and part 3, but i'm not going to bore everyone with that. Basically its how he learnt to put his trust in God, how he gave God His due, and saw God's blessings come flowing back ten-fold. Oh, one incident in particular strikes deep into me. There was one time when the gear shift of his car suddenly went down, making it impossible for him to engage gear 1, and he happened to be so tight that month that he only had enough money to either fix it or give it as tithe as originally intended. After much struggle, he chose to give God what's His. Uh, nope, miracle didn't happen YET. 2 weeks went by with him struggling with the car, and him asking God for help. Happens that that Sunday, he and his friend saw this chap in church who's the kind who's kinda slow, if u catch what i mean, and they offered to pray for him. When they were done with the prayer, that chap suddenly asked if he can pray for him in return, which he agreed of course. And guess what? That chap went: Dear God, please help make Peter's car well. They were shocked, cos to their knowledge that chap couldn't have known about the car! And yes, when they went back to the car, the gear shift was good as new...

I guess it was special cos it made me think back to the days when i used to pray for God to make my faulty PS1 work, or to make that damn pirated CD run... Haha... silly i know, but I really looked to Him for EVERYTHING. When did i start thinking that some things should be solved on my own? That i shouldn't bother God with such trivial nitty gritties?

Just as i was going through that in my head, this dude started saying: God wants us to be like children. Has a child ever doubted that his Father would give him what he promised? Didn't God say He would bless us? Not because of what we do or who we are, but because He wills it?

Wow... All along i only saw one facet of that phrase, that is to be as pure as a child is, innocent and without guile. How could i have missed something so obvious and linked?

This brother may know it, but his sharing today had helped me enormously. All of a sudden the path that i've been seeking all along has opened up before my eyes. Finally i know where place my first step on my trek towards God. All i have to do now is do just that! All these years of wandering, countless trips and falls... I'm not entirely convinced I had learnt all that I'm supposed to. But i know that all that has made me very appreciative of what I've heard today.

***

Hebrew 12

5 My child, don't ignore it when the Lord disciplines ou, and don't be discouraged when he corrects you. 6 For the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes those he accepts as his children.

25 See to it that you obey God, the one who is speaking to you.

***

How many more exodux will i embark upon? I don't know, but I certainly hope this is the last. But only if i've learnt the lesson He has prepared for me!

1 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

Truly inspiring. Making me want to pray for every little thing. Our God is a great God. Amen!

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home